I've been out of school for well over 6 months now, and I am coming to a conclusion on a lot of floating thoughts. 10 THINGS NO ONE TOLD YOU ABOUT LIFE AFTER ART SCHOOL....
(DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A SELF-REFLECTION LIST TO CONCLUDE MY 6 MONTH POST GRAD ART LIFE)
I think this list could definitely come off as maybe negative?? However, I don't think it would be fair to cheat reality. You could completely relate to this list, or maybe not at all. To say that life after art school is rainbows and butterflies is maybe half true because you are now 1 degree smarter ;), BUT there are also some hard times that will rise from this accomplishment as well. Here is my list:
1. You'll be alone.
2. You won't have motivation.
3. You'll have to constantly invest your own money in hopes you will make it back one day.
4. There won't be feedback available when you need it most.
5. You'll probably melt in self-doubt.
6. You will get rejected.
7. Applications seem to be a never ending black hole of fee's, writing, and proof that you know how to take professional photos of your work- when you don't.
8. You will need to work another part or full-time job to make ends meet - no matter what your art dreams are.
9. You'll find yourself with a mountain of unfinished work. Mainly because you don't have due dates and deadlines every week.
10. You will find a new love for yourself and your practice. You will realize that everything you make, is authentic and true.
I think it would be interesting to do another self-reflection list in a couple of years to see how my thoughts have changed and evolved.
THANKS FOR READING,
Your favourite starving artist <3